Sunday, October 7, 2012

Virgin Islands


I have been in the Virgin Islands since August 12th and so much has happened since then. When I first got off the plane and walked into the airport there was a booth of free rum shots. Maddie and I each had a rum shot and I thought to myself I am definitely not in the states anymore!  Since that day off the airplane, I have become more accustomed to the culture here on the island. The culture on the island is different from the lifestyle of the states. A common phrase here is "we are on island time now." There is no rush to get things done. It was an adjustment and I am still working on taking things slow. Besides the culture being more slowly paced, there are many other things that I have learned. One of the things that I first observed is that coffins are placed on top of one another. I was very confused about this custom until I found out someone is buried under the ground. The coffins on top are relatives of the person buried under the ground. Customs like these are just some of the simple everyday life things that I am learning.

Since being on the island I have been to many different beaches. I have never been on an island before or gone snorkeling. Now I have been to two islands and I am taking a snorkeling class.  All the beaches are beautiful and have their own unique qualities.  The Virgin Islands is made up of three islands and after a time you can tell who comes from what island.  Each island has their own characteristics along with the accents of the people.  Having friends from the different islands helps me learn and understand their culture better.  When I am in the car with my friend J’Nique,(driving on the left side of the road) we listen to her Caribbean music, which I can barely understand.  J’Nique has to translate the meaning of the song to me as she gives me more details about the culture of St. Thomas. 

J’Nique and I teach various lessons to women who have suffered from domestic violence.  The women are staying at the only shelter on the island that is for women only.  The women are at a very trying and vulnerable time in their life so it is important how I go about my teaching.  I quickly found out that the women love to share and my first two lessons went very well. We discussed healthy relationships, values, and the importance of communication in a relationship.  I also make a home visit once a week to a patient who is on hospice care.  I have learned a lot about the importance of family dynamics and the culture of caring for someone on hospice. 

I am looking forward to continuing care for both my sets of patients.  I am also looking forward to continuing my understanding of the Virgin Islands and experiencing new beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment