Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Otis Moss Jr. Health Center


My experience in Cleveland has been going good so far. I have adjusted well to the surroundings thanks to my roommate Loni. Being on vacation and living in a new place is so different. Loni was able to find the different information we needed so that our experience would go smoothly and not be noticed as a tourist everyday. When I came to Cleveland, I came for the experience and to be part of someone else culture. I have adjusted well to the Cleveland culture and made some adjustments to my own.
My capstone experience is taking place at the Otis Moss Jr. Health Center on 89th Quincy Ave in the Fairfax Community. This center provides Pediatric, OBGYN and Adult care services. I am enjoying my experience thus far because it is an environment I am familiar with and can relate to. My first day at the center, I was given a brief introduction to the pediatric floor about their daily functions and procedures. Their daily functions include assessment, laboratory testing (cholesterol, vitamin D), and immunizations and follow up calls. After the introduction, I immediately started taking care of patients and helped out the staff in anyway I could have. It was pretty interesting at first dealing with kids but I got the hang of it and found little tricks to get them to cooperate. I discovered that many of the pediatric patients that frequent the center have been coming there from their time of birth. Some patients have been coming for at least 21 years. 
            The people that frequent the Otis Moss Community makes the experience even better because of the many personalities I interact with daily. Even the noncompliant patient makes you think out of the box sometimes. 
 The capstone project we are currently working on is a Diabetes Education Program to help patients manage the disease more effectively. Our biggest concern for this project is having a good patient turn out. Apart from that everything is going as plan. In all the experience at the Otis Moss Center is going well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment