Friday, October 12, 2012

Healthy Cooking in CMSD

I feel extremely lucky to have combined my capstone project with one of my favorite pass times: cooking! This semester I've been working at the demonstration school (Michael R. White). One problem we've identified within the CMSD is growing obesity rates in children. Our group has decided to counteract this problem by equipping the community with the tools to eat healthy. On November 15th we will be hosting a free healthy cooking demo for the parents and faculty of Michael R. White. Along with this demo we will be handing out healthy cooking book books featuring recipes from community members. We're really excited to not only educate the community, but to empower them to take control and make healthy choices!

We understand it's not realistic to expect these busy families to prepare healthy gourmet meals every day. part of our project also features an "eat this not that" piece. We're trying to be realistic in our approach to education. So far we've found the community to be extremely welcoming to us! I've enjoyed spending time with the children, and hope that I can make some realistic changes in there eating habits. The problem is overwhelming, and can be stressful at times- but by taking each day at a time, I find I'm able to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment