Friday, October 5, 2012

Mat-Su Public Health Center, Alaska

Time sure does fly when you are having fun. I have been in Wasilla Alaska for almost seven weeks now. Before leaving, I was very unsure of what to expect. I was told this was going to be a once in a lifetime experience and so far it has. Between zip lining through Denali, admiring the dozens of glaciers, hiking the mountains, and exploring the wildlife, Alaska isn’t like any other state I have visited before. Businesses, houses, stores, etc are very sporadic. Healthcare centers are located in the central areas like Anchorage, Fairbanks, Bethel, and Wasilla. Those who live outside of these major areas have difficulties getting access to healthcare due to the lack of transportation. Therefore many are without health care. Coming from living in an urban setting, it makes you appreciate having nearby resources.
The Mat-Su Public Health Center provides several child health and reproductive health services. The clinic is based on a sliding fee scale. No client would be denied care due to the inability to pay. The Public Health nurses focus on immunizing children and providing screening for STDs and birth control methods to the at risk population. So far, I have had the opportunity to participate in several activities. I have done newborn screenings at home visits, presented about immunizations at a local college, went to the Women’s shelter twice for small group talk, administered lead screenings at an Early Learning program, and attended several community meetings. I have learned that education is a key role in Public Health nursing. I found the majority of the population doesn’t see the importance of immunization and reproductive health due to the lack of education. For my project, I have chosen to educate teenagers (15-19) on sexually transmitted diseases and healthy relationships.
I am really looking forward to going to Bethel at the end of this month. I am extremely excited and nervous at the same time. This is a very high risk population. I have been told that this environment is comparable to a third world country. There are issues with housing, potable water, access to healthcare, etc. Spending a week with this population is going to create an even greater appreciation for what’s taken for granted daily. With several weeks still left in Alaska, I can guarantee I will gain an even greater understanding of the importance of Public Health nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment