Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Virgin Islands Part 2


My time in the Virgin Islands is flying by, with less than four weeks left I feel there is so much more I want to do and learn!  I then think how much I have done since I have been here.  I have experienced a new culture in a way that I never thought possible.  I understand more about the culture and the people who live on the islands.   Today I went to the only mall on St. Thomas.  The mall had about ten stores, two restaurants in the food court and was attached to a Kmart.  I went looking for a Halloween costume and was lucky enough to find one at Kmart. 

                When I asked my friends who live on the island if they celebrate Halloween, majority of them say no.  One girl said she usually watches the ABC Halloween special on TV with her family to celebrate Halloween.  When I told her that I used to trick or treat she was shocked.  “I didn’t know people actually did that,” she said.  Besides Halloween I have also learned other things about the culture here.  I learned that newspapers are not delivered to homes every day.  If someone wants a newspaper they have to buy it either at a store or someone on the street.  There is also not a garbage pick-up every week.  When someone wants to get rid of their trash they have to take it to a dumpster that are located around the island and the garbage trucks will pick the trash from there.   These are a few culture facts that I have learned while being on the island.

                One of the classes that I am enrolled in at the University is snorkeling.  We have class every Monday for two hours.  This was the first and so far the only class that I have ever had to wear a bathing suit to class.  The first test I had for the class was a swim test.  At class this past Monday, we took a boat trip to a small key.  While snorkeling we saw a puffer fish and a lot of jelly fish!  Everywhere I looked there would be more jelly fish.  My instructor then picked up a jelly fish and I was able to touch it.  I learned that only the jelly fish’s tentacles will sting.  I was still very afraid of the jelly fish even though I touched one. 

                My clinicals are going well.  I have learned many new things from my patients and how they view health care, especially with the election going on.  On St. John there is no hospital only a clinic that works as an urgent care, pharmacy, and many families primary care resource.  After having clinical in Cleveland and being exposed to so many different hospitals, it is weird to think that there is no hospital on St. John.  If someone needs to go to the hospital they have to take a ferry to St. Thomas.

                I have learned and experienced so many new things.  I am excited for the last four weeks of my adventure in the Virgin Islands!   

No comments:

Post a Comment