Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lorain County General Health District Capstone



           My capstone experience at Lorain County General Health District has been very positive. The entire staff has really put forth effort to ensure that my partner, Patrick, and I are introduced to every community health resource and program. We have had the opportunity to speak with staff from environmental services, communicable diseases and the Women, Infant and Children (WIC) program. Also, we were able to participate in home visits and flu/immunization clinics. The home visits include newborn visits, Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (BCMH), and Children Services. These visits in particular have had one of largest impacts on me. It is truly a privilege to be invited into the homes of strangers, for lack of better word, and actually trusted with their health. I’ve met a lot of great families and individuals. Patrick and I even got invited back to a home anytime we would like! The flu clinic was also a memorable experience. It provided a slightly different angle to public health, the completely preventative side. It was impressive how many people showed up to the clinic, allowing us to meet a variety of people from Lorain County. I’ve never given so many shots! The setting was very interesting as well. We were in Wellington at the fairgrounds in a barn-like building. A horse was even racing around the track while nurses gave flu shots outside in the “drive-thru,” only public health.
On a different note, our capstone project is coming along well. We are working with the Adult Health Clinic. The population is the 55 and older individual. It is a free service that is usually operated by two Registered Nurses (RNs). What a fun experience! Patrick and I have really bonded with the RNs that primarily work there, making for an extremely comfortable environment. We are able to learn from them and speak openly with them about our time here at the health department. As for the population, I hope I age as well as them! Our project is about medication reconciliation and documentation. It has been quite the interesting journey arriving at that topic; however, working with the staff, management and faculty we were able to come to an agreement that will benefit the Adult Health Clinic and their clients. Recently, Patrick and I have completed the post survey and are concentrating on completing a proposal for documentation.
Prior to the Lorain County Health District, my only exposure to public health was working with the Cleveland schools. This experience is allowing me to expand my knowledge of what public health is and how nurses play a role in it. I’m excited to have the next half of the semester with this staff and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment