Sunday, October 14, 2012

Michael R. White and CMSD


This is my fourth year working in the Cleveland Publics Schools and every year I find that there are new needs for the students. There are two separate parts of the capstone. The first is working with the demonstration school  (Michael R. White) which is a K thru 8 school located a few minutes north of CWRU. My group is focusing on healthy food choices with the students as well as the community. To help with the students healthy choices we are going to hang up posters that promote healthy eating. To educate the community we are planning on having a healthy cooking demonstration. This demonstration will show easy healthy meals that parents will be likely to make. Hopefully these interventions will help the community make healthier food choices.
The second part of my capstone has been working with a CMSD nurse. We have been going to different CMSD schools and doing eye screenings for the children. The eye screenings have been for OneSight, which is a program that aims to provide free glasses to all CMSD students. While doing these screening I have realized how important these programs are. Many of the students had lost or broken their glasses and were unable to read the top row of an eye chart. This prevents them from reading the board and being able to learn. I am excited for the next two weeks when we will get to see the kids get their new glasses.
I am excited for the rest of the semester and the positive change I will be able to make in the Cleveland Public Schools.  

No comments:

Post a Comment