Friday, October 5, 2012

Virgin Island Experience



            I can’t believe I have been in the Virgin Islands for nine weeks already. I have countless experiences that I will remember for a lifetime. Katie and I have taken a dinghy around St. John, eaten fungi, picked up a foot long starfish and so much more.  However, completing my capstone in the Virgin Islands is not just a fourteen week long vacation. I’ve had a little bit of a culture shock – and we are still in U.S. territory! “Island time” truly exists. Everything takes an extra few minutes to get done. The dining hall is not an all-you-can-eat buffet like Leutner. Instead, a student is only allowed to get food one time, and since meat is very valuable on the island, only one choice of meat.  The McFlurry’s are just ice cream with oreos on top. And the place to shop is Kmart.
Additionally, my public health experience is very different from the rest of the senior class. I have spent my last six clinicals doing home visits to the same Hospice patient. Every Thursday morning I get on a safari, which is similar to a bus with no sides. Nursing bag in hand, I trek up a giant hill for about 20 minutes then up 48 stairs to my patient’s house. I am always out of breath when I arrive! However, these home visits have been such a beneficial learning experience. I have been able to establish a rapport with my patient and her family by visiting them weekly. I have learned how to incorporate the family as a whole into my care and teachings instead of just focusing on the patient. Home visits are so important because it allows patients to receive care, in a secure and safe place, surrounded by people they love.  I am honored that the family agrees to have me in their home.
This Thursday I am starting my teachings at the Family Planning Clinic. Since domestic violence is such a prevalence issue in the Virgin Islands, most of my lessons are focusing on identifying abuse, healthy relationships and self-esteem. I look forward to teaching women about these important issues as well as learning more about the culture myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment