Sunday, November 18, 2012

Goodbye St. Thomas

I can't believe I leave St. Thomas in two days. The past three and a half months have flown by! I've swam with turtles, been to the Yunque Rainforest in Puerto Rico, and was at the Paradise Jam Basketball tournament at UVI. (Check CBS tomorrow at 9 to see me and Katie on TV!)


One of my favorite experiences was visiting the Baths on Virgin Gorda (British Virgin Island). Huge boulders line the beach which I had to crawl through to get to the other side. It took a lot of persuasion to get on top of this rock, but after seeing the view and jumping off the rock into the water it was completely worth it!

It was sad saying my goodbyes to my Hospice patient's family - doing home visits really allows family members to open up professionally to you. I have also completed my six week teaching session at the Family Planning Clinic. I taught men and women of all different ages about risk factors for domestic violence. It was truly amazing to see how passionate some of these women were about the issues, such as STDs and teenage pregnancy, and how they wanted to see change on the island. I have learned so much about the Virgin Islands culture from both of these experiences and how much it truly differs from the states.

Although I am looking forward to trading cafeteria meals for turkey and stuffing, I am sad to leave St. Thomas. I feel I have found a home here for the past semester, which you will know if you ever hear anyone call me a tourist! I recommend all juniors to have the experience Katie and I did. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment