Friday, November 23, 2012

Emergency Preparedness Class

As my semester continued, I began working on my project and intervention. It was forming to involve an emergency preparedness class. The Health Department holds a grant for emergency preparedness within the community and had not performed a class or intervention in a year or so. I created a class to instruct to parents of small children. Then I was finally able to secure a date and a location for this project. It was to be at the Shaker Family Connections in Shaker Heights. I prepared the presentation and myself. I arrived that day to find out I would be presenting in a small room--a playroom. Dozens of kids will be running around while I teach this. This was my first personal experience with public health. The venue is here, and I must learn to adapt to the situation. In the end, I was able to hold the participants attention without getting in the way of the children. The intervention was completed and went off as a success. I learned the ability to think outside the box and be flexible in any situation is key to public health nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment