Sunday, July 8, 2012


This week I began teaching and the children were quite interesting. When I began teaching in the classroom I knew it would be a total 180 from participating and assisting with the sports only because there would have to be more structure and ground rules established within the classroom, which would require me to be more stern than what the children were used to. The children were accepting to the fact that in the classroom they would have to conduct themselves in a less energetic and manner able way, but at times they weren’t and we would have to redirect them. For the most part they were great for their ages and I wouldn’t expect anything different. I think it was great to participate in the sports aspect of camp first rather than secondly only because the children were able to see my actual personality and warm up to me, which they did so easily and fast. I feel it’s great to establish a rapport or some type of bond right off bat, in order to have understanding. It feels great that the children are super attached to us and I love it.
Within the classroom I was amazed how much these children would like to learn and how their eager minds would say the craziest things that you wouldn’t expect to here. As we discuss things in class pertaining to health we allowed the children to tell us what interested them and what they wanted to learn about. One child said that he wanted to learn about Kawasaki disease and we were all shocked that he was aware of that term even though he didn’t know what the disease entailed. We heard just about everything a child would say and then more. As the saying goes, “Children do say the darnest things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment