Monday, July 16, 2012

Otis Moss Jr. Medical Center


I find it hard to believe that my senior Capstone experience is over half-way over. It seems like I only recently was becoming adjusted to the medical center, to the staff, and to my duties as a temporary worker there. In the earlier stages of my work at Otis Moss Jr. medical center, I sometimes found myself at a loss as to what was expected of me. Am I being bothersome by asking for more work? What would be most helpful to the center?
What began as an awkward adjustment to a new environment (FPB nursing students don’t have clinical rotations at small physician offices), new staff, and new responsibilities – eventually became a comfortable working space amongst friends. The age groups at Otis Moss differ so much so, that Shannon and I (although the youngest in the facility) had no trouble blending in, making jokes, and chatting with the staff.
On any given day, Shannon and I would have a number of responsibilities: bring back patients, get their weight, vital signs, and ask them a series of medically oriented questions about any concerns or issue they have today and/or whether or not they needed any refills for their prescriptions.
Sometimes the patients would be rather reserved. Other times, they had many lengthy stories to tell about their medical problems, their family, or even random accomplishments in their life.
We would then take them back to a room and either alert them that Dr. _______ would be coming in soon or that a series of tests needed to be administered: a urine test and/or an EKG. Although FPB nursing students learned the basics telemetry, we never went into great explanation as to how to hook up an EKG or locations the leads should be in. Needless to say, I do not recall any sort of simulation or lab experience for the testing either.
I did not remember the specifics of EKGs when I first came to Otis Moss. After doing at least four a day on the adult floor during my capstone experience, it is safe to say that I am more than proficient in administering EKGs.
I also learned how to complete a urine test, pregnancy test, and hepatitis test – and a few other QCs (Quality Control).
I think that Otis Moss has been a great experience so far, for a number of reasons. These include: 1) working with ‘well’ patients (rather than just ill patients), 2) learning how to work with a stable staff (rather than a constantly fluctuating one), 3) interacting with patients, 4) learning new skills, 5) assuming a large amount of autonomy in your daily role, and 6) having time and motivation to think about the particular issues that need addressed in a given community.
I’m looking forward to completing my Capstone project, although I am worried about the whole paper writing process (making it cohesive and transcribing my thoughts into easily understood, succinct sentences).
I hope to start working on the paper soon.

1 comment:

  1. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.


    Capstone Simulation

    ReplyDelete