Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review of my experience with NYSP


                As camp (NYSP) slowly comes to an end, I find myself torn between being excited to have my days free (as any student would learn to love and appreciate) and being sad because I am going to miss the children I have grown to know over the past few weeks. My perception of people and life has greatly changed over the past few weeks, and I am so appreciative to have had the chance to be involved with a program such as this.
To be honest, when camp first was starting, after learning that many of these children coming from broken homes, I was not sure what to expect from them. I was actually rather concerned that they would not respect me or even give me a chance as a counselor and staff member, as I come from a completely different background than they do. However, to my delightful surprise, most of them welcomed me with open arms and seemed enthusiastic to be there. Even though there are some children in this population who do fit my worried impression, the small group that I work with and see every morning have greatly opened up to me and are for the most part very respectful. Throughout this whole capstone experience, I have not only learned so much about cultural competency but have learned so much from each and every camper that I came into contact with. Specifically talking about what I have learned about this population and this age group, there is many things I could list. I have learned to accept that children will probably act the way that they are allowed to at home, but with some structure and direction, these children can be molded into the wonderful people they are. I have learned that many of these children, even being as strong as they are, just need a little encouragement to continue with tasks that they start, as they seem to be easily discouraged. I have learned that when someone is acting out at this age, if taken aside, they will likely open up and share something going on in their life with you, that is not always known about or something even imaginable for a kid their age to have to be worrying about. They have showed me how strong they are, how much courage they truly have, dealing with things that I cannot even fathom dealing with at their young age.
I have been so touched by some of the children involved with this camp that they have affected me in a way that will change the way I not only practice as a nurse, but look at situations as a young adult, so lucky to have another day in front of me. These children have already opened my eyes to their stories, their unique situations, in only the short five weeks that I have known them, and have made me even happier with my decision to get involved with this opportunity presented to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment