Sunday, July 8, 2012

NYSP sports activities

            During the first half of my NYSP experience, I was involved with the sports activities.  I had the opportunity to not only coach basketball, but to also participate alongside with the children.  In the beginning of camp, we focused the periods on the basic skills of basketball and overall physical fitness.  This allowed me to share my basketball experience and skills with the children.  As the days went on, we progressed into more game-like situational drills, and eventually allowed the children to pay live full court games.  I think that the most rewarding part of this experience was being able to watch the children progress over the weeks.  Girls that had never played basketball prior to this, or children that did not like it, were seen engaged and excited during friendly competitive games.
            This type of competitive, active setting allowed the children to get to know my personality, as I was able to participate in the games with them.  Because I was not in a classroom setting, this allowed me to be more relaxed, and actually engage with the children; challenging them to games and competitions.  The amount of energy that they came with everyday was amazing.  Everyday they arrived at the courts with boundless, and sometimes uncontrollable energy.  Directing this energy into constructive and organized activities was most definitely the biggest challenge faced during my coaching experience.  Occasionally, the only way to establish order was to sit the children down; however, we always attempted to contain their energy without having to interrupt the activities.
            Overall, this was a great and valuable experience.  I thoroughly enjoyed working with the children, and being able to see the difference over the 3-week span.  Watching the children develop teamwork skills, work towards camaraderie, and display determination revealed the potential that all of these children have.  Whether they displayed great athleticism or not, each camper showed the desire to succeed and carried themselves with pride and confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment