Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Otis Moss: Summary and Conclusion


My summer at Otis Moss is almost at an end. I feel like the summer is ending WAY TOO QUICKLY.
It was busy, and I still feel like there isn’t enough time to complete everything. Even when the paper is finally submitted, there is still a brief presentation we have to do, along with a poster and longer presentation later in the year.
But overall, the experience and the time commitment were worth it.
Some of my daily responsibilities included: checking  both adult and pediatric patients in, getting basic information (vitals, weight, etc), asking them medical-oriented questions, performing EKGs on them, obtaining urine samples and running the strip tests, giving shots/vaccinations (a lot!), drawing blood, Strep tests, and so many other things.
In addition, Shannon and I worked at two health fairs, toured and interviewed people at the Cleveland Sight Center, ElderHealth, and the Fairfax Renaissance Corp. We also went to the Ahuja Medical Center for a day-long workshop covering health disparities.
Otis Moss is a great facility for the capstone experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in Cleveland and is unsure of where to go. Some capstone experiences are in a very broad 'public health' category. Otis Moss retains some of the same duties, but is more nursing and is medically-oriented.
Carol Johnson is an experienced preceptor (she’s had many rounds of FPB students) who is familiar with the capstone curriculum and very helpful day-to-day. She also respects our own schedules and allows us to schedule our days based on the our needs as well as the needs of the staff.
The other members of the staff have all been very welcoming and friendly. I can tell they appreciate the help that Shannon and I give to them as well.
I didn’t think I would have very much fun during my senior Capstone. I thought it would primarily be a stressful work experience. Otis Moss changed that perception, and I will miss everyone on staff as I complete my Capstone experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment