Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Reflecting on Camp Ho Mita Koda...


My experience at Camp Ho Mita Koda these past two and a half weeks has been extremely rewarding, and I cannot believe that it has already come to an end.  In the little time I was at the camp, I have learned so much from the kids, not only about diabetes, but about the challenges they face and the adversity they live with every day.  I knew going into this experience that diabetes was a serious disease and it takes work to properly manage it, but I didn’t realize how severely it impacts nearly every single aspect of life.  I have so much respect for the children I worked with this summer and now have a much greater admiration for anyone who lives with this disease (type 1 or type 2).

At Camp Ho Mita Koda, I also learned a lot about carb counting, types of insulin, insulin schedules and insulin administration.  I got daily practice calculating dosages and drawing up medications, and administering subcutaneous injections.  These are all valuable skills that I can use during during my clinical experiences in the hospital as well as throughout the rest of my career as a nurse.

My two main goals for my Capstone experience were to teach the nine to twelve year olds about diabetes management (as this was our project objective) and to also have fun in the process. I definitely think I have accomplished both.  I thought that the lessons that we taught about exercise went extremely well - much better than I originally anticipated.  I assumed that we would have a harder time keeping the attention of the kids long enough for them to learn anything, but surprisingly they consistently actively participated during the sessions.  Also, the preliminary results of our pre and post-tests show that the campers learned a good deal! 

Overall, I really enjoyed my Capstone experience at Camp Ho Mita Koda.  I got to witness a new aspect of  community nursing, learned a great deal about diabetes, and had a ton of fun with all the kids in the process.  I surely will not forget my time at camp and am very grateful to have had this opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment