Sunday, August 19, 2012

Camp Ho Mita Koda

It seems like yesterday I was at camp Ho Mita Koda. Time really flew by! It was a great experience. I've never been to camp so it was so new to me. Living in the woods, the bugs, the night time critters making noise in the dark, all new... I loved it though. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first arrived but as time went on, I became a part of the Camp community. The camp is for children with Type - 1 diabetes and has been around for years. I was excited t be a part of something so great. 
Our capstone group decided to teach the campers about the effects exercise has on the blood glucose level. I thought this was appropriate because the children are so active, naturally. When the children checked into the camp, within the first hours they are doing a swim test. I think teaching them about what happens to their body when they participate in physical activity is very important. It was interesting trying to make up lessons plans because I am not creative at all. We had to do some research on the topic and I found a lot of information. I was more familiar with Type - 2 diabetes. I think coming to the diabetes camp was very beneficial. 
We taught about exercise twice a week and to say I was nervous is an understatement. Speaking in front of people was already a problem of mind but try keeping the attention of children who just ate dinner and wants to get back to camp activities. Not an easy thing! Mary and I started off a little shaky but after getting feedback and tweaking a few things here and there, we got into the swing of things. I knew the next couple of weeks were going to fly I had to cherish every moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment