Monday, August 20, 2012

End of Capstone and the Summer

I learned so much while at camp. Even though we were only there for three weeks, in the small time, we were introduced to a bunch of children who I an describe as one of a kind. They were the best teachers. Essentially, being a part of the dispensary staff, we were responsible for the medial care and the administration of insulin and helping the campers insert there insulin pumps. Most of the campers did everything themselves. At Camp Ho Mita Koda we encouraged independence and increased responsibility. Most insulin administration was done by the camper with our supervision. This was a great time for us to learn about their regimen at home. If a camper was putting on their pump, usually they would talk us through it. Because there were different types of pumps, it was nice learning the difference between them all. I didn't know how good the technology was today. I actually really liked the pumps.
During the last weeks of camp, some residence joined the dispensary staff. It was good talking to them also. They talked to us about the difference between type -1 and type -2 diabetes. They explained it to us in a way that anybody could understand. I appreciated the time we would sit around and talk about medical stuff from a different perspective. Dr. Shaw was also great to talk to. I honestly think she was the coolest doctor I've ever met. Haha.
I really appreciate my time at the diabetes camp. I admire the strength those children have. During a lot of the activities and during eating times the personalities of the children really showed. They were all unique. There are a couple of them that I remember and can call by name. If I had to chose my capstone site over again, I would definitely chose this site. I had a wonderful summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment