Monday, August 27, 2012

My experience at the Cleveland Department of Public Health


First arriving to the Cleveland health department (McCafferty), I was surprised.  Initially I had a total different perception of the health center.  I envisioned it would not be as exciting as it has been so far.  Prior to arriving, I was not informed that it was a reproductive health/STD clinic.  After finding this out, I was excited for my venture over the next few weeks.  .  I knew I would be involved with a variety of age groups, diseases and issues, as well a diverse culture and SES statuses.  The role of the nurse here is mostly similar to the roles that I have observed or participated in previously during my clinical course.  The same rules apply as far as nursing qualities and common skills.  I am still involved with patients who are seeking health care.  I am able to assess, but not as thoroughly in the hospital, provide treatment, and patient education.  This is really important within this clinic because reproductive health as well as STD health is very imperative to a healthy life course.  Within the community I work, there are multiple sexually active adolescents, so providing effective education regarding prevention is very important to combat the STD rates.  I appreciate that I am involved hands-on with patient care, even though it is on an outpatient basis.   I hope to become more fluent and perfected with these skills and to make sure I am delivering the best and most important information while assessing if the patient has a good understanding.  The most important thing to me is making sure the given information is retained and used correctly once the patient leaves the office.  It is sometimes difficult when the patient is around my age or younger, and are reluctant to speaking with me about issues they are having.  Some come into the clinic and are embarrassed to speak to me (someone in there age range) about how they contracted an STD and there sexual behavior if they are being treated for something like “Gonorrhea”.  I am still learning the best ways to make them comfortable and open up to me about these things in order for me to give them the best advice and patient education in order to change their risky behaviors and prevent future re-occurrences of an STD.  I look forward to the rest of my experience here at the health clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment