Friday, November 4, 2011

Good Afternoon from St. Thomas, USVI!
This experience has been more than I could ever have imagined. I am so thankful that I was given this opportunity. From the moment I arrived here St. Thomas has been a dream….even during tropical storm Irene! Before classes started I had the opportunity to enjoy the beaches and get oriented with the island. I took my first safari ride (public transportation) during the first week which was quite the adventure. Now that I’ve been here for a month it just seems like an everyday thing. I have met a lot of great people and cannot believe how friendly everybody is. No matter where I go I am always greeted with a good morning, good afternoon, or good night!
The public health visits that I have the opportunity to make have been incredible. I am assigned to a hospice patient and go on house visits with him once a week. I have really been able to develop a rapport with him and his family over the past visits. The last visit really touched me as when I went to leave my patient grabbed my hand and said “thank you for everything”. Hearing those words was the best feeling in the world! Along with my home visit I am also presenting different lessons about sexual health to a family planning clinic on the island. The women are very attentive and interested in my various topics. They ask a lot of questions and it really makes me feel like I am making a difference.
I have one month left here before I head back to Cleveland. I look forward to the remainder of my visits this semester as I can only imagine it will get better! I will definitely be sad to leave the island but excited to come back and share my experience with everybody at home.
Jillian Majka

No comments:

Post a Comment