Sunday, November 27, 2011

Final Days at Otis Moss, Jr. Health Center

As my capstone comes to an end I am able to reflect on the many experiences that I had at Otis Moss, Jr. Health Center. I have gained so much from my capstone experience. Not only did I learn task-oriented skills, but I also immersed myself in the culture of the Fairfax community. Towards the end of my experience, I began to truly understand what many of the families and patients at Otis Moss deal with on a day to day basis. Throughout my experience I built positive relationships with the staff members, and was able to utilize their knowledge to help me grow as a student nurse. The most valuable experiences that I had at Otis Moss were interacting with patients and their families. I began to see patients and families come back multiple times and I was able to build relationships with those families. I also learned a lot from the triage calls. Yvette, the RN in the pediatric office at Otis Moss, Jr. Health Center assisted me in gaining confidence while speaking with and advising parents. As the semester progressed, I saw my responsibilities at the health center increase. It was a great challenge to meet the expectations of the staff at Otis Moss.

Our Vitamin D project turned out to be a success. I loved seeing parents comment on the posters that we had made for the exam rooms. Our interventions sparked a lot of questions with the parents and we were able to educate them on the resources of Vitamin D. Overall, my capstone experience was great. I am so glad that I got to spend my semester at the Otis Moss, Jr. Health Center.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing parents comment on the posters that we had made for the exam rooms. Our interventions sparked a lot of questions with the vitamin.
    bath tub

    ReplyDelete