Saturday, October 16, 2010

Raising Awareness

I am really enjoying my time here at Gila River Indian Reservation. Recently were granted some great opportunities to volunteer within the community.  Cemile and I were able to help give flu shots with the public health nurses during the annual Elderly Picnic. It was very rewarding to see such a large number of eldery community members interested and commited to staying active and healthy.   The group gathers to feed the elderly breakfast and lunch and encourages the seniors of the community to play a variety of activities which include archery and chair volleyball. I was able to serve food and watch some of the games being played. As always I was eager to be involved with the task of helping others.  What better way to continue to learn about the community than to dive right in the middle of community activities?  Along with this great opportunity I was also able to volunteer on two separate occassions with an effort to raise awareness about breast cancer. It shocked me  to learn that Breat Cancer is one of the leading causes of death among Native American Women. I learned this fact as I volunteered at a Gila River booth during the Susan G. Komen race for a cure. Naturally, I was eager to accept the invitation to volunteer during the breast cancer fair held on the reservation. While there I had the opportunity to observe as nurses taught the community how to conduct a self-breast exam.  Many women did not know what a lump felt like before this workshop. It was truly an excellent learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment