Monday, October 4, 2010

Public Health @ Gila River

WOW! I never imagined that public health nursing could be so exciting!  I have been at the Gila River Indian Reservation for about three weeks working directly with the nurses to improve the health of the community.  This field of public health nursing extends far beyond health fairs, but provides the opportunity for the nurses to go into the homes and reach even the toughest patients.  This past Wednesday I went on a home visit with the nurse in District 4 to do a routine visit to prepare medication.  Although she had a multitude of health conditions including being legally blind, I noticed that her television set was on the food network.  I ended up sitting and just talking with her about the joy that cooking use to bring her and my personal desire to go to pastry school in the future.  She seemed very delighted to talk about food! I am certainly happy that I was able to be part of the reason why she had a huge smile on her face by the end of our visit.  

Along with the opportunity to meet and care for patients, I have been able to build a nice relationship with one of the Community Health Representatives named Marceline.  Her and I have the same love for a traditional Native American Dish called Frybread, also used to make an Indian Taco.  Simply explained, Frybread is pretty much HEAVEN deep fried in dough! Each time I am paired with Marceline we head straight to the vendors for lunch.

I am really beginning to admire how dedicated the Gila River nurses are to advertising the flu vaccine to all community members.  Some of the nurses carry the vaccine around with them, making it a point to teach and vaccinate all willing participants.  If these nurses are so passionate about getting as many people vaccinated as possible then it must be a really important thing to do.  I just might sign up to get a flu shot after all.         

1 comment:

  1. So it seems Delissa that PHN on the reservation involves more than merely going door to door to check on patients. You have to actually connect and establish a bond. Not much different than if you are here in Cleveland working with children in CMSD, In Alask working with the Native population on the Rez in Gila river. As nurses we have to have a passion about all that we do or it is just in vain. It is also good that you are appreciating the culture through all of your senses!!!

    ReplyDelete