Friday, October 29, 2010

It's Flu Season!

Sneezes, coughs, and runny noses will not be found among the children of the Gila River Indian Community this season! I am truly enjoying myself as I administer the flu vaccine to students of all ages.  Although I hate causing the children any sort of pain, I know that I am helping to prevent them from getting the flu this season.  We have administered mostly nasal vaccines which most children have tolerated very well.  I must admit that my pediatric nursing skills have definitely come in handy as we work to safely and effectively vaccinate hundreds of terrified children.  As student nurses we administer all the vaccines to the children as we try to incorporate play as best we know how.  I was very pleased that we came up with a game to encourage the children to sniff with the nasal vaccine. We ask the children whether the vaccine smells like flowers or candy.  It's so funny watching the children choose what it smells like as we eagerly compete with a scoreboard drawn on the table! The funny thing is that the vaccine really has no fragrance at all! Surprisingly, only a very small amount have the courage to go against us both.

     Among our very entertaining encounters at the flu clinics we have also been able to teach dental health to a group of third grade students! Once again incorporating play along with our teaching strategies has served us very well.  I had a blast having the students do a return demonstration of appropriate brushing and flossing techniques on Ally the alligator!  I look forward to my last two weeks here in Arizona! 

No comments:

Post a Comment