Saturday, July 9, 2011

Otis Moss Jr. Medical Center

My summer capstone assignment is at Otis Moss Jr. Medical Center. I have had a great experience so far at Otis Moss. This medical center is a primary care center that provides adult, pediatric, and OB services. Gina and I have had the opportunity to work with the nurses and physicians in all three fields. We have participated in various aspects of nursing care such as disease prevention, patient education, immunization, screening, and triage care. Other than working in the clinic we are also helping organize a health screening event called “Live Strong Live Long” campaign. This community wide event will take place on July 23, 2011. Residents in the Fairfax community can receive free health screenings such as for sickle cell, HIV, dental, and diabetes. I’m excited to be a part of this event and to help provide health screenings to the Fairfax community.


Otis Moss also hosted a camp for teenage girls called “Seed to Succeed.” Gina and I also participated in this program by teaching the girls about STDs, nutrition, self-esteem, body image, and other topics. During the camp we taught the girls about HPV and Gardasil by presenting a power point lesson and visual demonstration. From our research and talking with the Gardasil pharmaceutical representatives we learned that there was a very low compliance rate in teenagers receiving or finishing the Gardasil course. Gina and I decided to do our research project on HPV and increasing the HPV immunization rate at Otis Moss.


Through my capstone experience I have learned and experienced the various roles of nursing at Otis Moss. We also have a great relationship with the staffs at Otis Moss and they have been very accepting and cooperative. Working at Otis Moss has allowed me to understand more about public health. People living in the Fairfax community are very supportive to each other and involved in improving their community. I’m excited to be at Otis Moss and I look forward to my rest of capstone experience this summer!

1 comment:

  1. One of the most exciting ways they work to prevent unnecessary deaths and give quality medical care is with the Clinic in a Can program.

    эректильная

    ReplyDelete