Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gila River, Arizona

This month, Angel and I have been in Public Health Nursing, each week in a different district. It's been really interesting to see the patients in their own chosen setting, see how they live. There are some things that are much easier to understand once you get to see their home. It brings a whole new element to my personal view of holistic healing.
All of public health has the same tasks that they need to complete outside of patient care each month, but not every group does them the same way. For example, the RN of each district team isn't supposed to have a patient load, and rarely did we see a nurse who didn't go to a patient's home. They are also supposed to do a certain number of char reviews each month, and I only saw one group do that. But despite their differences, they all provide the ever-important patient care. Through them, I also learned about the value of teamwork. I saw groups that worked well together, and I saw some that worked less well together. The groups that did work well together seemed to enjoy work more, updated each other regularly, asked for help when they needed it, and reminded each other of their tasks. In the group that didn't work as well together, the stress was almost palpable, and rather uncomfortable to work in. Having seen this, I think that I will strive to get along with my co-workers and create the best possible working environment and ensure the best patient outcome.
During our last week, we also got to follow a nurse to another Native American community, on a different, smaller reservation, just a half hour away. The physical and aesthetic differences between them were surprising to me. However, I reminded myself that not everything is as it appears, and I'm sure that this community too has their own struggles. But it was an interesting comparison.
Overall, I'm very glad that for the time I had in Public Health, because it really gave me a better overall understanding of the reservation as a whole, and a better personal definition of public health.

No comments:

Post a Comment