Sunday, July 17, 2011

Finishing NYSP

I have just completed my 5 weeks working for NYSP. I cannot believe it is already over! But even though the time went by very quickly, I feel that my role added significantly to the program. The kids participating in this camp come from backgrounds that offer them limited experiences. For instance, a staff member that also works in the schools commented that many of these kids do not receive physical education classes and many have never played the sports offered in camp. I know this to be true from my prior experiences working in the Cleveland school system. Some campers also have never had health class or learned about anatomy and physiology. Therefore, the health education classes I helped to conduct with my small group were very valuable because the kids were given information they might otherwise never receive.

The program was a fun experience for me too. I love sports, so I was glad to have a chance to participate in some sporting events and competitions. The last week was very fun for me because I enjoyed getting ready for the staff versus camper tournament. I also had fun participating in the extra activities occurring throughout camp. For example, I toured the art museum with the campers, attended a community parade, went to a water park, and learned salsa dancing. Throughout my time at NYSP I made many new friends and formed relationships that I know will help me later on in the future. I learned a lot in this experience about people, nursing, the community, and even about myself.

2 comments:

  1. mba in usa-Mba in usa With IDP India. We provide consultation for Mba
    in usa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Universities in New zealand- India IDP is a best consultant to provide the education in New Zealand for higher education and consult only top universities in New Zealand. so, For educatin in new zealand consult with India IDP.

    ReplyDelete