Monday, August 8, 2011

I never knew time could pass so fast....


It is almost unbelievable that I am back in Ohio. During these past two months that i spent in Arizona I learned a lot. It was definitely an experience I will never forget.

My time on the Gila River Indian Reservation is almost indescribable. It was truly unlike anything I have ever experienced before. In fact, if my skin wasn't peeling from getting sunburnt I'm not sure I'd believe that I was even there. Sometimes I still expect to see mountains in the distance. The first month in Arizona, I was lucky enough to spend my clinical experience in the ER. The second month was spent in the Women's Clinic which was also a wonderful experience. While there I met a variety of patients who were all so receptive to having a nursing student from Ohio. Despite warnings we received, no one seemed to care that we were "white men". I was able to see many of the disease processes we learned in class and was able to apply nursing skills we weren't necessarily taught in class. I advocated for patients and helped them apply for access (which is a type of insurance). I helped them arrange transportation to and from their appointments. I provided patient education regarding such things as MRSA and the harmful effects of drugs on fetuses.

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I attended various health fairs and witnessed a community involvement that every nurse should be proud of.
While on the reservation I also learned many things about the Pima Indians. I was immersed in their culture. I witnessed such things as basket dancing and tasted fry bread. I learned how they make their jewelry and how each piece contains a story. I was fortunate to attend a Cleveland Indians game while in Arizona, see the grand Canyon, and visit Sedona. Honestly it would be impossible to list all the wonderful things I saw and learned.

Leaving was so bittersweet. Even now, although I am glad to be home, I am sad i had to leave. If I was given the choice to go back and do it all again, I would choose the same path. I hope I will always remember this experience and use it to be the best nurse I can. If a student is debating about choosing Gila River for their capstone, i fully recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment